|2015-2020||Crowd Intelligence for Healthy Living and Lifelong Learning, Joint NTU-PKU Research Centre of Excellence.|
|2015-2018||Enabling Ageing in Place with Ambient Intelligence, NRF Proof of Concept Grant.|
|2012-2017||Future Elderly Research Program, Joint NTU-UBC Research Centre of Excellence in Active Living for the Elderly.This is a 5-year competitive research program on Disruptive AI Technologies for Ageless Ageing under the National Future Initiative strategy plan, co-funded by the Singapore Interactive Digital Media Program Office (IDMPO), Media Development Authority (MDA), National Research Foundation (NRF), NTU, UBC and Industry.|
|2012-2017||Herbalomics & Herbalinformatics: Novel Approach for Fingerprinting, Authentication and Analytics of Herbal Products, funded by National Research FoundationThis is 5-year competitive research program. Prof James Tam from the School of Biology is the PI for the Herbalomics project and I am the PI for Herbalinformatics i.e. crowdsourced big data herbal information analytics.|
|2007-2013||Future Learning Research Programs: co-funded by Interactive Digital Media Program Office (IDMPO), Ministry of Education (MOE) & National Research Foundation (NRF).These research programs focus on Designs for AI Inspired Learning Environments of the Future: Agent Augmented Multi-User Virtual World.|
|2009-2012||Cinematic and Narratives: creating stories within real-time visuals, co-funded by Ministry of Education (MOE) & NRF.
I am the PI for real time AI for interactive storytelling generation.
|2007-2012||Voyage to the Age of Dinosaurs, Serious Embodied Learning, co-funded by Interactive Digital Media Program Office (IDMPO), Media Development Authority (MDA) & National Research Foundation (NRF).|
|2009-2012||Growing Cognitive Autonomous Agents for Context Aware Personalized Experience in Co-Space, funded by Media Development Authority (MDA) & National Research Foundation (NRF).|
|1. I established one of the world’s first AI technology empowered ageless ageing research centres: Joint NTU-UBC Research Excellence Center for Active Living for the Elderly (LILY) in Singapore in 2012. LILY has a wide range of local and international research partners.2. The launch of a University Level International Research Collaboration between NTU LILY and the University of Bristol (SPHERE) to develop intelligent home based healthy living technologies was witnessed by the President of Singapore, Dr. Tony Tan, during his 2014 state visit to the UK.
3. A Collaborative Research Program on AI for aging-in-place technologies between NTU LILY and the Institute of Geriatrics and Active Ageing (IGA) at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), Singapore, was launched by the Minister for Health in July 2014.
4. A University Level International Research Collaboration in Crowd Science was established between NTU LILY and Tsinghua University, Beijing. The MOU Signing was witnessed by the President of Singapore during his 2015 state visit to China.
5. A University Level International Research Collaboration in Smart Livable Cities was established between NTU LILY and Fudan University, Shanghai. The MOU Signing was witnessed by the President of Singapore during his 2015 state visit to China.
6. A University Level International Research Collaboration in AI for ageing and innovative learning was established between NTU LILY and Peking University, Beijing. The MOU Signing was witnessed by the President of China during his 2015 state visit to Singapore.
7. A Joint Venture, Lushang Nanyang Pte Ltd, was established by NTU and Lushang Group to research and commercialize future experiential e-commerce technologies. The JV started with an IP portfolio evaluated at S$3.5 Million from my research and $5 Million cash from Lushang. It was launched by the Minister of State for Trade and Industry in 2014.
|My research accomplishments have earned me an excellent reputation among peer researchers. The outcomes of my research have been published in the top-tier journals and conferences in my field. Evidence of my high international visibility and standing includes:1. Editorships
1) Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Information Technology
2) Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Crowd Science, Springer
3) Member of the Editorial Board, Web Intelligence Journal
4) Associate Editor, IEEE Access
5) Associate Editor, IEEE Internet of Things Journal
6) Guest Editor, “AI meets Internet of Things”, Special Issue of IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2016.
2. Senior roles in International Conferences
1) Member, Technical Program Committee, IJCAI 2017 (IJCAI is a top AI conference that attracts over 2000 paper submissions each year).
2) Co-Chair, International Conference on Crowd Science and Engineering, 2016
3) Member, Technical Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, 2016
4) Program Committee Vice-Chair, IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT’15), 2015
5) General Chair, International Conference on Ageless Ageing, 2013.
6) Co-Chair, GCCCE 2010, an event that attracted about 600 researchers interested in computers in education from all over the world.
3. International Professional Service
1) Co-Chair, IEEE Communications Society Multimedia Communication Technical Committee Interest Group for Visual Analysis and Content Management
4. Keynotes/Invited Lectures
1) Keynote: “E-Health Oriented Pervasive Computing”, PhD Forum in the 14th IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, Sydney, Australia, 2016
2) Keynote: “AI for Crowdsourcing”, International Conference on Crowd Science and Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, 2016.
3) “Humanized Artificial Intelligent Agents and their applications”, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 2016
4) “Enabling Ageing in Place with Technologies empowered by AI”, Singapore-Sweden Excellence Seminar – Ageing Societies, Singapore, 2015
5) “AI for Rehab Games”, Rehab Conference, Singapore, 2015
6) Keynote: “Crowd Intelligence for Shared Economy”, The 12th IEEE International Conference on e-Business Engineering (ICEBE), Beijing, China, 2015
7) “AI for Ageing in Place”, SPHERE Research Centre, University of Bristol, UK, 2014
8) Keynote: “Games with a Purpose”, International Conference on Game Theory for Networks, Beijing, China, 2014
9) Keynote: “AI meets Wearables”, International Conference of Wearable Technology, Chengdu, China, 2014
10) “Crowdsourced Human Computation”, Huawei Noah Ark Research Lab, Hong Kong, 2014
11) Keynote: “Future Shopping Experiences and Data Driven Storytelling”, Singapore-Shandong Business Council Meeting, Jinan, China, 2014
12) Keynote: “AI for Aging in Place”, International Conference on Networking and Information Technology (ICNIT), Singapore, 2014
13) “Educational IDM Data Mining”, Ministry of Education, Singapore, 2013
14) “IDM Research for Ageless Aging”, Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, 2013
15) “AI empowered Ageless Ageing”, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, 2013
16) “Agent Augmented Virtual World”, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 2012
17) “Future Elderly: Active Living for the Elderly”, Baidu China, 2012.
18) “Future e-Commerce”, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2012.
19) “Silver Games”, Rehab Conference, Singapore, 2012.
20) “Age Friendly Service Computing”, Singapore Computer Society, Singapore, 2011
21) “Agent Cloud”, Mobile Cloud China, Beijing, China, 2010
22) “Artificial Intelligence for Interactive Digital Media”, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing China, 2009
23) “Intelligent Agent for Future Game Design in 3D Virtual World”, Annual Canadian Game Conference, Vancouver Canada, 2008
24) Keynote: “Agent Augmented Game Development”, Microsoft Conference on Game Development, 2007, California, USA, 2007
25) “Agent Oriented Massive Multi-player Online Games”, I2R, ASTAR, Singapore, 2007
26) “Intelligent Agent in Educational Virtual World”, Harvard University, Boston, USA, 2006
27) “Agent Augmented Immersive Virtual World and Game Design”, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2006.
28) “Software Agents and their Applications in Real World Systems”, The University of British Columbia, Canada, 2006.
29) “Agent Mediated Semantic Web/Grid”, Fudan University, China, 2006.
5. International Research Collaborations
I have established active collaboration with researchers at several prominent universities.
1) Pacific Parkinson’s Research Centre, The University of British Columbia on “Diagnosis and treatment of neuro-degenerative diseases”
2) Sensor Platform for HEalthcare in a Residential Environment (SPHERE) Research Centre, University of Bristol on “Using sensors in homes for wellness”
3) National Engineering Laboratory on E-commerce Technologies (NELET), Tsinghua University on “Crowd Science and Engineering”
4) Shanghai Key Laboratory in Intelligent Information Processing (SKLIIP), Fudan University on “Smart Liveable Cities”
6. International Research Awards
I have received 21 research awards, including Best Paper, Best Demo, Best Presentation, Best Video in top AI conferences.
7. Commercialization Activities
In 2015, I received an NTU Research Commercialization Award for a Joint Venture with Lushang Group, a large Chinese conglomerate.
8. I have served as Workshop/Session Chair/Technical Program Committee Member for many leading AI/CI international conferences.
9. I am a reviewer for many top AI/CI international journals and conferences, typically handling over 50 research papers every year.
10. I have served as External Reviewer for MOE, Hong Kong Research Grant Council and NSF (National Science Foundation) China.
11. Comments from AAAI President
Professor Thomas Dietterich, President of The Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), commented on my work at AAAI 2016:
“Prof Miao’s research in humanized AI imparting human qualities such as trust, curiosity and persuasion into intelligent agents could help establish more healthy relationships between humans and AI.”
He further commented that “Crowd AI research led by Prof Miao at LIlY is very novel. Her work in applying AI technologies to solve population aging challenges is the only work of its kind that I know of.”
(6TDs have been extended as patents)
|1. “An Apparatus to Protect E-Commerce Business Owners from Reputation Risk (US 61/951,767)2. An Apparatus for Efficient Task Allocation in Crowd-sourcing (US 61/951,785)
3. A Curiosity-based Emotion Modelling Method for Virtual Companions (US 61/970,051)
4. An Episodic and Semantic Memory based Remembrance Agent Modelling Method for Virtual Companions (US 61/970,065)
5. A Rewarding Mechanism Based on Customer Preference (US 61/970,019)
6. Agent-based Personalized Storytelling System based on 2D Barcode and Online Multimedia (US 61/970,081)
1. An Apparatus for Efficient Task Allocation in Crowdsourcing (TD/001/14), 2014
2. An Apparatus to Protect E-Commerce Business Owners from Reputation Risk (TD/002/14), 2014
3. A Curiosity-based Emotion Modelling Method for Virtual Companions (TD/015/14), 2014
4. A Episodic and Semantic Memory Based Remembrance Agent Modelling Method for Virtual Companions (TD/016/14), 2014
5. Agent-based Personalized Storytelling System based on 2D Barcode and Online Multimedia (TD/017/14), 2014
6. A Rewarding Mechanism Based on Customer Preference (TD/018/14), 2014
7. A Method and System for Quality and Budget aware Task Allocation in Spatial Crowdsourcing (TD-133-14), 2014.