Service to University
- Service Contributions to SCE
- Emerging Research (ER) Lab
I co-initiated the SCE Emerging Research (ER) Lab, together with Prof Tan Ah Hwee and Dr. Alex Tay, in 2004. The ER Lab nurtured five interdisciplinary research and development programs with ambitious scientific challenges and promising commercial potential. It brought together and encouraged academic staff members to champion and launch new research areas. During my term as Director of the ER Lab, I established collaborations with research centers and institutes in both Singapore and abroad and attracted major research grants. I led national research projects in several emerging areas.
- Overseas recruitment of undergraduate students.
- Member of the SCE Graduate Student Liaison Committee for recruiting and interviewing PhD candidates overseas and for offering counselling services to graduate students.
- Counsellor to undergraduate students at SCE
- Member of the AGAMES Organizing Committee.
- Service Contributions to CoE and NTU
I established the first university-based technology empowered cross-disciplinary aging research centre in Singapore to address the physical, emotional, cognitive and sustainability challenges posed by a rapidly aging population. My proposal to establish the Joint NTU-UBC Research Centre of Excellence in Active Living for the Elderly (LILY) received a total of S$26 million from the Singapore Government, NTU, UBC and Industry.
As the founding director of LILY, I lead a group of over 50 researchers in cutting edge research to create innovative solutions for active, independent and dignified aging. LILY is developing age-friendly technologies to allow the elderly to continue contributing to their communities after normal retirement. This will lead to a positive sea-change in public attitude towards the elderly: rather than being viewed as a drain on economic resources, the elderly will be seen as a significant national asset.
- NTU Research Peaks of Excellence
I have served as a member of the NTU Interactive Digital Media and New Silk Road Peak of Excellence committees which are involved in strategic planning, discussing activities and initiating external collaborations. I currently serve as a member of the NTU Global Asia Peak of Excellence committee.
- Research Review Committees
- Member, NTU Research Council (NTURC)
- Member, NTU AcRF Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 Review Committee, Informatics and Mathematics discipline cluster (EP2)
- Member, NTU Nanyang Assistant Professor (NAP) Review Committee, Informatics and Mathematics discipline cluster (EP2)
- Promoting NTU
- I have established active collaboration on “Crowd Science and Engineering” with researchers at Tsinghua University, Beijing and on “Smart Liveable Cities” with researchers at Fudan University, Shanghai. The MOU signing ceremony with Tsinghua and Fudan took place in July 2015, in the presence of Singaporean President Dr. Tony Tan and Chinese President Xi Jinping. The signing was widely reported in the local media as well as the national media in China.
- I initiated research collaboration with the University of Bristol (UoB) on “Technology Empowered Home Based Healthy Living”. Together with Prof Bertil Andersson (President, NTU) and Prof Lam Khin Yong (VP Research & Chief of Staff, NTU), I showcased LILY’s research on Technology Platforms for Rehabilitation Games and Aging in Place to delegates at UoB during President Tony Tan Keng Yam’s State Visit to the UK in October 2014.
- I was invited to give a keynote address on LILY’s Future Technologies at the Singapore-Shandong Business Council meeting, co-chaired by the Vice Governor of Shandong Province and the Singaporean Minister of State (Trade and Industry) in October 2014.
- I initiated and led discussions on an NTU-Lushang Joint Venture agreement which was signed by Prof Lam Khin Yong (VP Research & Chief of Staff, NTU) and the Chairman of Lushang in October 2014.
- University Industry Relationships
I have led collaborative work with over 15 companies including Microsoft Research Asia (MRSA), Huawei Research Lab, Baidu, HP Labs, TTSH Rehab Centre, Pacific Parkinson’s Centre, Silver Group, National Health Care Group, Lushang Group, and Kooprime.
- Helped in the establishment of the new NTU Institute of Ageing Research and Education.
- NTU Undergraduate Campus Experience
Hall Fellow for Hall One (800 undergraduate residents), specializing in international student relations since 2005. I initiated various experiential residential programs together with the JCRC including Virtual Campus, Game projects, and Student Scientists.
- External Examiner of MEng., Ph.D. theses, School of EEE, School of SCI, since 2003.
- Service Contributions to National Agencies
- Member, City For All Ages (CFAA) Advisory Committee (Chaired by Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Health), 2015 – Present.
- Singapore Computer Society (SCS)
- I have been a Council Member of SCS since 2009. My familiarity with this organization has allowed me to actively encourage SCE students to join SCS. I have recommended many top students for SCS activities, competitions and IT Lead Awards.
- Since 2009, I have served as the Editor-in-Chief for the International Journal of Information Technology, published by the Singapore Computer Society
- Ministry of Education (MOE), Singapore
- Expert Mentor, Innovation Programme
- External Reviewer for Innovation Fund
- Collaborator, MOE future schools for ICT/IDM in education
- Collaborator, MOE Educational Technology Department for ICT/IDM in education
- Service Contributions to the Profession
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Information Technology, Singapore Computer Society, since 2009.
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Crowd Science, Springer, 2016.
- Associate Editor, IEEE ACCESS, 2014.
- Specialty Chief Editor, Frontiers in ICT, 2014-2015.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2016.
- Guest Editor, AI meets Internet of Things, Special Issue of IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2016.
- Editorial Board Member, Web Intelligence Journal, 2016.
- Reviewer for:
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- IEEE Transactions of Fuzzy Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- Journal of Web Engineering
- Knowledge-Based Systems
- Multi-agent and Grid Systems
- Decision Support Systems
- ACM Intelligent System and Technology
- Other top-tier IEEE/ACM journals in the area of AI/CI/CS
- Co-Chair, International Conference on Crowd Science and Engineering, 2016.
- Member of the Organizing committee for AAMAS, 2016, the top conference for research in autonomous agents and multi-agent systems.
- General Chair, International Conference on Ageless Ageing, 2013.
- Conference Co-Chair for the GCCCE 2010 (Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education), an event that attracted about 600 researchers interested in computers in education from all over the world.
- Program Committee Member/Session Chair/Reviewer for:
- International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS) since 2003
- AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) since 2003
- International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) since 2003
- IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT) since 1999
- IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGRID) since 2006
- International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS) since 1997
- International Conference on Case-based Reasoning (ICCBR) since 2001
- International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) since 2005
- International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering (WISE) since 2001
- IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN) since 2006
- International World Wide Web Conference (WWW) since 2005
- External Expert Reviewer, Hong Kong Research Grant Council and the National Science Foundation (NSF) of China.
- External Examiner for PhD theses, Simon Fraser University (SFU), Canada, Peking University, China and universities in Hong Kong and Australia.
- Visiting/Adjunct Faculty Member, Digital Media Program, jointly offered at Great Northern Way campus in Vancouver by SFU and UBC.
- Service Contributions to Local Communities
- Engagement with Moulmein Kallang. and Whampoa community
- To strengthen the emotional bonds between the elderly and their younger family members, I led efforts by LILY to collaborate with the community in Moulmein Kallang and Whampoa to develop the SG50 Community Mobile App. Powered by LILY’s technology, the App provides an easy-to-use channel for inter-generation connection and for sharing of SG50 wishes by residents. The app was launched by the Minister for Communications and Information in 2015 and featured in the national mass media. The App is a good example of community outreach through crowdsourcing and aligns well with the Singapore Smart Nation initiative. For my contributions in this initiative, I received an Excellence Award for Community Service in 2015.
- 2010 Youth Olympic Games
- The first-ever Youth Olympic Games, organized by the International Olympic Committee, was held in Singapore in August 2010. I led the team which designed and implemented the 3D Immersive Virtual Youth Olympic Village (VYOV) for the Games. I received the Nanyang Team Award for this initiative. The VYOV was launched by the Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports and featured in the national mass media
||I have active collaboration with researchers at Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA), Huawei Research Lab, Baidu, HP Labs, TTSH Rehab Centre, Pacific Parkinson’s Research Centre, Silver Group, National Health Care Group, Lushang Group, Kooprime.
||Conference Co-Chair, International Conference on Crowd Science and Engineering
|Associate Editor, IEEE Internet of Things Journal
Guest Editor, “AI meets Internet of Things”, Special Issue of IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2016.
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Crowd Science
||Member of the Editorial Board, Web Intelligence Journal
||Member, City For All Ages (CFAA) Advisory Committee (Committee chaired by Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Health)
||Program Committee Vice-Chair, IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology, 2015 (IAT’15).
||Associate Editor, IEEE ACESS
||Specialty Chief Editor, Frontiers in ICT
||Conference General Chair, International Conference on Ageless Ageing (ICAA) 2013.
||Conference Co-Chair, GCCCE 2010 (Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education), an event that attracted about 600 researchers interested in computers in education from all over the world.
||Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Information Technology (IJIT).
||Council Member, Singapore Computer Society
I serve on the Technical Program Committees of many leading international conferences in AI including IJCAI 2017, UIC 2016, IAT 2015, etc.